Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Crockpot Chronicles - Grandpa J's Creole Mix

My parents came over for dinner Tuesday night so we can see one another before they went away this weekend.

Anyway, Dad wanted spicy & I needed fast, since I don't get home until 6. I had some shrimp & chicken sausage in the freezer so my decision revolved around that. I adjusted a recipe I found online & created this. So far, it's one of my favorite crockpot recipes. There's no cream of's so it's healthy, you can make it as spicy as you want with the Tabasco & choose whatever meat or fish you like. The sausage & shrimp combo was just right.

I dubbed it Grandpa J's because John is my Dad & he scarfed down 3 plates!! It's the least I could do.

Grandpa J's Creole Mix
1 1/2 c chopped bell pepper
1 1/2 c diced celery
1 c chopped onion
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
S & P
Tabasco sauce (I used a lot to get it spicy as we like)
Aidell's Chicken & Apple Sausage, partially thawed & sliced thick
Cayenne Pepper, as needed
Cornstarch, as needed
1 lb shrimp


Combine all ingredients except shrimp in slow cooker. Cook 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. If using raw shrimp, add in the last hour of cooking. I had cooked shrimp so I threw them in 15 minutes before serving. I added some cayenne pepper at the end for a little more heat as well as a cornstarch/water mixture to thicken sauce a tad. Serve over hot jasmine rice. The kind pictured above is my absolute fav of all white rices.

21 comments:

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

I love the chicken apple links - we put them on the grill and serve them with this fruit salad stuff yummo!!! :)

Pam said...

Yum. Looks tasty and simple. My husband would dig this meal.

Maria said...

Josh is obsessed with that sausage. He actually had it for dinner last night. I will have to try this recipe. I am sure he will love it!

Kacey said...

I never knew there was chicken & apple sausage! Where have I been? I don't eat pork so this would be a great way to serve Brian and dish he would like.

Anonymous said...

How funny! I didn't realize it was the same picture - too cute! I remember the post though - my kids would LOVE that party!!!


Oh my goodness, I LOVE crock pot cooking!!!!!

Deanna said...

That looks delicious!

Jen said...

oh that sounds great. I am on the look out for good Crockpot recipes. I have started working in the evenings and it is just so easy for the hubby when the Crockpot has been working all day.

The Blonde Duck said...

The perfect Southeren meal! It looks great!

Lump said...

this so looks better than my lunch today.

FROGGITY! said...

Thanks...football season = fun times. I actually really love the whole tailgating/party/celebratory experience, too! :) OH~ the cookies = good times!! Thanks again! Will post pics soon.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Ooh, I love a good crockpot recipe. It makes life so much easier if dinner is ready at dinnertime!

Anonymous said...

Looks better than anything I've ever made my parents!

Kelly said...

I love gettin' busy with the crockpot..this looks tasty!

Lorie said...

I love ANYTHING I can cook in my crock pot!! Thanks for the recipe!

sassy stephanie said...

Oh my yummy. I so love the chicken and apple sausage. This looks gooood.

(started BD!!!)

Unknown said...

That chicken and apple sausage looks delightful : ) I am going to look for it at the grocery store! I think I should just print out all of your recipes each week and take them to the market with me!

Unknown said...

This is going to sound girly, but I'm pretty excited about this one. This more down my alley of stuff to cook. It's simple too and it's a concoction.

Honey Mommy said...

I love crockpot recipes! I am going to have to try this one... but without the shrimp.

seafood gourmet said...

Delicious food and great photo

wanto said...

Yummy, try this food
www.bonafidenice.com/crab_chair.html

Megan said...

I love that sausage and this sounds like a recipe even my picky daughter would love.