Monday, February 2, 2009

Veggie Shrimp Wontons

All I can say about these little treasures are WOW! I made these on Super Bowl & then again tonight because they were so darn good! They are really called Veggie Shrimp Egg Rolls but I noticed at the last minute that I only had wonton skins, not wrappers, in the freezer. Not big enough to make egg rolls, I just formed a triangle shape instead. 

They were so delicious & pretty healthy since they are not deep fried & have a lot of veggies! I had some filling left over for this evening while we celebrated my Dad's birthday so I freshened it up a bit by chopping up a little more shrimp as I warmed it up in a pan & then added scallions & a little powdered garlic & ginger. We all loved 'em. These are a big hit & have totally won a place at the top of the list for must make appetizers!!!!!!!


2 tsp minced fresh gingerroot
2 garlic cloves minced
3 tblsp olive oil, divided
1/2 lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined & chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
1 cup canned bean sprouts, rinsed & finely chopped
2 tblsp water
2 tblsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
38 wonton wrappers

In a large skillet, sauté ginger & garlic in 1 tblsp oil over medium heat until tender. Add shrimp, onions, carrot, red pepper, bean sprouts, water & soy sauce; cook & stir for 2-3 minutes or vegetables are crisp-tender & shrimp turn pink. Reduce heat to low; cook for 4-5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat; let stand for 15 minutes. 

Place a tblsp of shrimp mixture in the center of a wonton wrapper. (Keep wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold bottom corner over filling. Fold sides toward center over filling. Moisten remaining corner with water; roll up tightly to seal. 

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook egg rolls, a few at a time, in remaining oil for 5-7 until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Serve with Duck Sauce & Sweet & Sour Sauce.



{My Thoughts}

In the ingredient list you will notice the wontons are wrappers. I used wonton skins instead, which are much smaller. Instead of forming an egg roll shape as mentioned above, I used just 1 teaspoon of filling & then formed a triangle. You still moisten the sides with water & seal tightly. I used fresh gingerroot leftover in my freezer but feel free to use powder. These are versatile in that you can use chicken, crab or lobster instead of the shrimp. 



Visit Blessed with Grace for more Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays!!!!

31 comments:

Tina Butler said...

Yummy I love wontons. My favorite are the Crab Ragoon Wontons. Another one i need to try.

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Oh, homemade wontons sound wonderful. I would have to do the chicken since I don't eat seafood. I'm printing it out right now!

Kacey said...

Look at you all dressed up! Love the new header!

The wontons look divine!

mommy4life said...

This sounds great. I'll have to try it.

Kristina P. said...

I'm pretty much in love with any kind of wonton. Except maybe a poop wanton or something.

lynette355 said...

the header is great
what a nice gift

The Blonde Duck said...

The header is gorgeous! You are such a creative cook!

Life, Love And Lola said...

Love the new header!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I've made Philipino lumpia and eggrolls but never tried wontons. These sound delish!

Brenda said...

I have some wonton wrappers in my freezer, now to find some shrimp. . .

~Marie~ said...

Ooo... these sound delish!! Maybe I will make them this weekend... or next weekend as a treat for Valentines day.

Darla said...

I love wontons, probably too much for my own good.

Jen said...

these look so good. I am never made anything like this before. I am going to add it to the list to try.

I LOVE the new header!!!

Erin said...

YUM!!
Love the new header!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Sounds yummy. I like your new header ,for the blog. It looks good.

Pam said...

These look delicious! I love wontons but have never made them. Great recipe. Your new header looks cool.

Jamey said...

wow so good, BTW i have an award for you on my blog, come by and get it!

Unknown said...

These sound wonderful! I'm sure my hubby would love them!

I wonder if there is a way to bake these instead of frying them? I'll have to look into that - we're trying to eat less fried foods.

Thanks for sharing!

Scary Mommy said...

These look amazing---- I'm totally drooling!

The new header looks fabulous!!

akawest said...

Those look fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, these look so good, I have been meaning to try cooking with the wonton wrappers!

Lorie said...

Yum! Just yum! I think I need these RIGHT NOW!

FROGGITY! said...

oooh! i love the new header! go girl!

mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

wontons!!!!!! these look perfect.

Heather said...

I love wontons and that looks so tasty!!!

Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

MMMMMmmm! Looks great. I'm going to give it a try. When I get back. From Mayo. Ugh I'll be gone all next week. Hubby's having major surgery. Thanks for the zucchini pie recipe it was amazing. Love your new header.

Deanna said...

I tried twice to reach through the screen and pick those up so I could taste them but it just didn't work. Shoot! I guess I will have to try it at home.

Nana said...

Oh, my!! I cannot wait to make those.

Michelle said...

Oh these sound great. I will have to remember this one to make, as I have wonton wrappers sitting in my fridge right now that I ought to use soon. Totally easy to do, too! I love the recipes that seem so much harder than they really are so people are all impressed ;)

Cupcake Dessert said...

looks so yummy!!!

seafood supplier said...

Delicious food and great photo

wanto said...

yummy, try this food
www.bonafidenice.com/crab_chair.html