Friday, February 20, 2009

Curry Shrimp & Vegetables - Not So Fat Fridays

It's Friday & it's Not So Fat. I hope everyone had a great week!!!! I haven't been out of the house in 3 days since my little guy has a fever. It seems to be going around. But he's a trooper & it's been nice chilling out with him.  

I made this dish last night for myself. I adapted this recipe from others & also added a few things from my fridge so they don't go to waste. If you don't like curry you can still use this as a canvas & create your own sauce. Or use chicken instead of shrimp. I posted a stir fry tip a while back here so check it out to see how easily you can throw together your own combo & have it on the table in 15 minutes. 

½ lb. shrimp
2-3 tblsp vegetable oil
½ tblsp soy sauce
1 tblsp cornstarch
2 cups broccoli
2 cups onion
2 cups mushrooms
5 tblsp water
1 tblsp curry powder
1/3 tsp salt
1/3 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch

Blend 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, soy sauce & cornstarch with shrimp. In a wok or large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Briefly stir-fry broccoli, onion, mushrooms until tender. Add an additional 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to pan if necessary. Move the veggies to the side of pan & add shrimp. Stir-fry for just a few minutes until pink. In small mixing bowl, combine water, curry powder, salt, sugar & cornstarch. Add this mixture to the pan & blend well until heated thoroughly. This is amazing over jasmine rice.


{My Thoughts}

I added red bell pepper & whatever veggies I had leftover in the fridge. Use whatever veggies you like. I also added a little fish sauce & red curry paste to the sauce just to use it up but this is not necessary. 

{Click Here to Print Recipe}

Have a great weekend everyone. I will be catching up with you this weekend with a glass of wine in hand. 

30 comments:

Carrie said...

I am a total curryaholic! Red, yellow, green--it's like spicy colored heaven!

I think this will be getting made in my house this weekend.

Anonymous said...

You always fix the most delicious looking dishes.. wish I was your neighbor so you could toss a bite my way.

Erin said...

Pour me a glass!

Jaysi said...

I HEART curry! Can't wait to give this a try.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

i never would have though to pair curry with shrimp in my own kitchen. thanks for the inspiration!

Kristina P. said...

I would have to leave the curry out, but everything else looks delicious!

Love the new header!

FROGGITY! said...

get in my belly! right now!!! that looks delicious and i am HUNGRY, so it looks even MORE delicious...

Debbie said...

I love all things curry. This looks great.

Coco said...

YUMMY! You know how much I love curry! This will be in my live.love.eat. cookbook for sure.

Enjoy your weekend.

Pam said...

This looks excellent! I love how plump and juicy the shrimp look.

Brenda said...

2 cups of mushrooms, yum! That looks great. I like Thai curry the best.

tiarastantrums said...

OMG - that looks so goo d- and WHY did I come here when I haven't eaten yet!!!

Chef Chuck said...

Yumm, Healthy yet delish!!

Jen said...

Oh I am SO hungry and that looks amazing!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

hubs would love love love this...too bad i can't do shrimp. i think i could do the same with chix though, don't you?

Michelle said...

I hated curry as a kid, but now I love it. This recipe looks so simple and yummy.

Sara said...

This looks so good, I love shrimp and I love curry!

Nana said...

That just make me hungry!

Tabitha Blue said...

Wow, that looks OH SO GOOD!! I love stir fry. Not a huge curry fan, but I think this recipe would be work a try!!! Nicely done!! Hope your little guy is feeling better soon.

:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com

Angela said...

Yum! It's funny, I just made stir fry and I am sitting here eating it while catching up on reader. And yours looks so much better than mine, LOL! Sounds good too. Will have to try!

Happy weekend!

Nicole said...

It looks yummy. I am so tempted just to make it tonight.

Rachel said...

I haven't really had a lot of curry but I am soooo liking this recipe and may have to try it...but I have a lot of your fabulous meals to try!!!

I want to thank you for the nice comments on my blog girl; thank you thank you. I may need you to review my resume for me.

Let's definately get together soon!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Day 3 of the Where’s Wenda? Contest is here. Today I am visiting all of the SITStas that commented on Three Bay B Chicks. That means you! Thanks so much for stopping by and for being a great SITSta!

-Wenda

The Blonde Duck said...

I love not so fat Fridays!

carrhop said...

Hope your little guy is feeling much better soon! We've had a round of coughing/fever thing around here,but you're right--it is nice to just hunker down and hang at the house!

Blessings!

Lindsey said...

DELISH!!!

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew how to cook...as this looks beyond delicious! YUM!!!

Maria said...

Looks fantastic!! Bring on the veggies!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

This looks fantastic!

Unknown said...

I have never cooked with curry. Gary and Kaish are not big fans. I made shrimp for supper last night and the boys were gaga over them : ). Love those boys.