Monday, February 9, 2009

Cheesy Zucchini & Red Onion Flatbread - TMTT

Appetizers are just about my favorite "genre" of food so when I come across one that is not only delicious & easy to make but also so pleasing to the eye, I get excited. And I am excited about this one!!!!!! My best friend Tam & I both needed a little girl time last week so she came over & we enjoyed a few cocktails as well as this gorgeous treat.

This 1st picture is from Epicurious, sister site of Bon Appetit, which is where I found the recipe. In all my eagerness to try this I had forgotten to take a cross-section view so here you go. I also wanted to show how you NEED to overlap the zucchini & put more onion then you think you will want. I didn't have enough of either & wanted more!!!!!!!


Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 10-ounce tube refrigerated pizza dough
3/4 cup garlic & herb cheese spread (such as Alouette), divided
3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley, divided
1 small red onion
1 7-8" long zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick rounds, divided
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; spray with nonstick spray. Unroll dough onto parchment. Spread half of herb cheese over 1 long half of dough, leaving 1/2-inch plain border. Sprinkle with half of Parmesan & 2 tablespoons parsley. Using parchment as aid, fold plain half of dough over filled half (do not seal edges). Spread remaining herb cheese over top; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.

Remove enough outer layers of onion to yield 2-inch-diameter core; cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Arrange 1 row of zucchini down 1 long side of dough, overlapping the zucchini. Arrange onion rounds in row alongside zucchini. Arrange 1 more row of zucchini alongside onion. Brush vegetables lightly with oil; sprinkle with salt & pepper. Bake bread until puffed & deep brown at edges, about 24 minutes. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon parsley.



I will make sure to overlap my zucchini next time & use more onion!!!!!

{My Thoughts}


I used dried parsley rather than fresh & it was just fine. I also used the entire container of garlic herb cheese which brings it to about 1 cup. I would do the same next time as this appetizer was outstanding!!!!!! You also want to make sure to overlap the zucchini as seen in the 1st pic & use more onions than you think you want because they really do shrink up & the dough also expands.



For More Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays please visit Blessed with Grace!!!

45 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh wow this looks amazing!!!

Kristina P. said...

This looks and sounds so delicious!

Debbie said...

I think I want to roll on it. It looks divine.

Rachel said...

It looks sooo good!

FROGGITY! said...

That's one pretty appetizer!

Jessica said...

This looks so delicious and easy! My kind of cooking!

Kacey said...

I am literally drooling. This is making the app menu for Ryder's b-day party! Woot! Woot!

Brenda said...

That is so pretty. You just manage to make food look easy!

Carrie said...

Cheese Bread taken to the next level!! YUMMY!

Jen said...

I so want a piece right now!

Baby Favorite said...

Oh, good lord. I think I must now take leave from work so that I can rush home and make this!!!

BTW, stop by and pick up your blog award when you get a chance. ;-)

brionyskerjance said...

looks yummy minus the onions again :) hahaha

Deb and Blake said...

OMG...you know how to get a girl's mouth watering! I want some of this bread right now! If I wasn't already in my jammies I would be at the store getting the ingredients!

Real Live Lesbian said...

That is absolutely going in my recipes to try file! YUM!

lynette355 said...

Hey, I like cocktails and bread. Invite the rest of us girls next time. LOL Looks wonderful!

Sara said...

This is so pretty! It looks pretty easy to make too, which is an added bonus.

On The Wings Of Love said...

Mental telepathy girl...I was just thinking about visiting your blog for a food pick me up today.


...great new look on your blog and I just love the addition to your family ...he's adorable and those pictures are hilarious !

Lots of yummy new recipes for me to try...just made focaccia in the breadmaker ..loved it but was looking for a way to jazz it up....and voila of course my little online cookbook friend would have something!

Take care,

Bre

Michelle said...

The cream cheese middle makes it all sound soooo good. It would probably be really good to eat with a big salad.

Jessica said...

Oh Yummy!!

carrhop said...

I'm looking for more 'veg-heavy' ideas and this fits the bill! I bet this is a great way to sneak more greens into the kids...and the big kids!

Blessings!

Chef Chuck said...

That looks delish!!

Coco said...

I am for sure making this for Bunko next week. I will be the hit of the party.
Thanks to you....again!

Unknown said...

It looks delectable. I have a confession. I have never used parchment paper. I use tin foil all the time? Does it make a difference?

Anonymous said...

Yummy, this is perfect date night food! I am having a valentines recipe roundup and I would love to include this recipe.

Alisa said...

that looks so yummy!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

This sounds scrumptious!! :D

Maria said...

That looks so good and super easy to throw together!! Nice one!

Kristen said...

This looks so good!
I will definately be trying this one!

Claremont First Ward said...

I wanna jump right through the computer and gobble that bread right up. Looks wonderful!

Do you have a good red velvet cake recipe?

Lula! said...

As always, you've come up with a winner. I can't wait 'til you're famous one day and I can be all, "Yeah, I knew her when..."

I'm now hungry.

Reeni said...

That looks amazing!! So thick and crusty and golden brown! YUM!

Darla said...

Flatbread, yum!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Yum. This looks great.

The Blonde Duck said...

Add some chicken and that'd be a perfect dinner!

I moved! Come visit me at www.aduckinherpond.com.

Scary Mommy said...

Oh, that looks delicious and gorgeous!!

Smores for Breakfast said...

that just got me in the mood to cook. I didn't think I wanted to cook tonight, and now I do. I've been wanting pizza too, but wanting to avoid all the heavy cheese...this is perfect! You're so inspiring!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

This looks good. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Mmmmmmm, looks like something you'd get at a fine eatery!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

that looks positively delightful!

Anonymous said...

Wow...that looks and sounds fabulous...I could almost taste is just from the pictures! Thanks so much for the great recipes.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Looks delicious! I'm with you on the appetizers...I frequently order one as a meal.

Deanna said...

Oh my! I think I am in love.

Michelle said...

Ooooo, I could eat this. But I'd need some of that POM Mimosa to wash it down ;) And is it bad that I'd probably toss in some extra garlic? YUM!

The Mrs. said...

I am dying!!! Looks so good!!!

Jessica said...

I wish you the best of luck! I know that you can be a violin master in no time! 2.Budget FF: Me too! Maybe we can do it together!