Friday, February 6, 2009

The 5 Ingredients You Meet in Heaven - Not So Fat Fridays

The Five Ingredients You Meet in Heaven is just about one of my favorite sandwiches of all time!! Since I've been home the past few weeks, I have had a craving often for this fav of mine, so I knew I needed to cut cals wherever I could. Ya know what's funny, I ate this sandwich almost daily when I was home on maternity leave with Tristan 5 years ago. And now, as I sit home potty training our little Nash & getting this craving again it's as if my body associated taking care of a new baby, fur ball or other, with a breakfast sandwich. 

Anyway, for this heavenly makeover, I use a whole wheat English Muffin instead of a bagel, Canadian Bacon instead of regular, 1 egg cooked in Pam rather than butter & a slice of reduced fat cheese instead of whole milk. Sometimes I may use just half of a slice. And instead of the usual slathering of extra butter on the bread, the muffin goes untouched & relies on the wonderful oozings of egg after that 1st bite.



Even with cutting all corners, I enjoy this sandwich so much & without the guilt!!!!!



If you want a little something on the side, these potatoes are perfect. I make them all the time for dinner. You see, I love potatoes but I just can't eat a baked potato without a dollop or two of butter and/or sour cream. But these potatoes are so delicious & healthy, cooked over high heat in just 1 tblsp of olive oil. The trick is to not move them around too much & let them get crispy but tender. 


I love the tiny potatoes such as fingerling but use what you prefer. Slice 1/8" thick. Heat 1 tblsp olive oil in large pan. Scatter potatoes in even layer & cook over medium high heat. Season with salt, pepper, oregano. I often use a Tuscan seasoning sometimes but you can use whatever spices you want. I cook the potatoes until golden brown, flipping occasionally, about 20 minutes. If your pan is getting dry just add a little Pam or brush on a little oil. Toward the end, I sprinkle with just a little parmesan cheese.

I assure you, this easy process brings out the simple but delicious flavor of these potatoes without adding extra fat you find in so many potato dishes. 

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

See you next week for another new & exciting appetizer I made just yesterday that will be a hit at your next party!!!!!

37 comments:

Brenda said...

Nice idea. I like homemade egg sandwiches like that and those potatoes looks great!

FROGGITY! said...

I love egg on a sandwich! That looks so tasty. I also think the potatoes look delish!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Can't wait to see the appetizer!

Anonymous said...

Those potatoes sound good! I stick them in the oven like that with a little olive oil and hidden valley seasoning packet sometimes. The fiesta one is better than the og.

But the egg...I only do over hard. I have a thing with yolks. I like my yolks like I like my men.

Rachel said...

I love these sandwichs...we normally use the taylor ham!!! yum yum!

sassy stephanie said...

Oh yum. We often have these for dinner. I think the healthier version is just as yummy as the not-so-healthy one.

Love your new look!

lynette355 said...

sounds so good
found a interesting product called
baconannise.

Anonymous said...

We love those potatoes, I fix them all the time.
Sand sounds delicious too.

Jaysi said...

I am salivating on my keyboard!

Carrie said...

I make these ALL THE TIME!! Except I use a microwave egg poacher because it's so much easier and I am LAZY! I made them just yesterday for me and Midget!

Those potatoes look delicious too and fingerlings--genius I tell you!

michelle matthews said...

YUMMY! These makes me want to go eat now!

have a wonderful weekend!

Kristina P. said...

I suddenly feel the need to stop by McDonalds. Although, I know I will be so disappointed.

Those potatoes look amazing.

Lump said...

ohmygoodness soooo much better than those four donuts I ate for breakfast.

Anonymous said...

You must not have noticed when you posted the picture, but that sandwich has my name all over it! ;-)

Yellow Beads said...

yum yum yum!!

scargosun said...

mmmmmmm! I might try taters this way instead of roasting them in the oven.

Ritch in Love said...

I am so regretting my bowl of grapenuts now!

Lula! said...

I really want those potatoes...like, now. Please.

Sweet Pea Chef said...

I love me some egg sandwiches. Thanks for sharing!

Have a great weekend!!

tiarastantrums said...

okay now as soon as I saw the potatoes - my mouth started to water!!!!

JMBMOMMY said...

Yum, Yum!

Jen said...

Oh I so want that for breakfast tomorrow. Yum! I can see why it has its name.

brionyskerjance said...

yum!

Debbie said...

I've never heard of this but it looks great.

Angela said...

Oh yum! I've been looking for a breakfast sandwich I could make without the McDonald's guilt! This looks yummy! And I LOVE the potatoes. I like your microwave parmesan potatoes so well already - but these look delish too!

Happy weekend! We're going to that wine dinner Sat. so I will let you know how it goes! I'll try to get some pix of the place for you too. I think you would love it!

Nana said...

YUM!

starnes family said...

Both look wonderful. Anxious to hear about the appetizer!

Tam said...

So even though I have been SICK..that sandwich looks heavenly and those potatoes...I think I found something I might JUST want to EAT....HMMMM

brionyskerjance said...

thanks for the sweet comment...i really liked how the bathtub one came out. you will not believe how many pics we took and that is really the only one with potential...haha but hey at least i got one right :)

Chef Chuck said...

Yumm ,I am with you on this one!!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

I just caught site of your oh-so-lovely bulldog. To die for cute! We had a bulldog for several years who looked very much like yours. He name was Monty. I adored him.

Enjoy both your puppy and your breakfast sandwich. They very well may be the perfect pair!

-Francesca

Simple Daisy said...

Looks good...but I would change mine to have egg beaters and soy sausage!!!!
PS...your new puppy is super cute~~~

Life, Love And Lola said...

Breakfast is my absolute favorite! And of course here I sit reading your blog on an empty stomach! I should know better by now!

Michelle said...

It's Sunday morning and I haven't had breakfast yet...so this is looking so good right now.

Might have to send hubby to the store. :)

Anonymous said...

Those potatoes look amazing! I'm a sucker for the taters....

Tam said...

Stalked over to say I hope you have a MOST EXCELLENT WEEK my friend!

Pam said...

The perfect sandwich with a side of crispy potatoes - my kind of heaven.

Deanna said...

That is one of my favorite sandwiches! I haven't had one in quite a while. I am going to remedy that soon.