Thursday, May 22, 2008

Linguine with Spicy Red Clam Sauce

This is one of my husband's favorite dishes. These days, I make it extra spicy for him by adding at least 3x the amount of jalapenos than the recipe calls for below and I also do not seed the jalapenos.

WARNING: About 6 years ago I didn't realize touching the inside of the peppers was dangerous so there I was taking out all the seeds with my fingers in a rush. My fingernails were just digging away. It wasn't long before I knew something was terribly wrong & I was going back & forth to the kitchen sink rinsing them under cold water. After an hour, I felt like my hands were being forcefully held 3 inches from an open flame. The only reason we didn't go to the emergency room was because I didn't want to take my hands out of the pans of buttermilk for a second. Plus, we kept hoping the pain would go away. There I was with my hands in the pans a couple of hours later trying to rest my head on the table to get some sleep. Eventually, while Terry fell asleep I managed to get my hands completely covered in buttermilk soaked washclothes & put them in ziploc baggies to keep the moisture in. And there I lay on the bedroom floor so as not to soak the bed. I still remember what I was wearing to this day. I woke at 4am still in severe discomfort but noticing an improvement. It wasn't until 6am, nearly 12 hours later, that the pain totally subsided. NEED I SAY - do not use your fingers to seed the jalapenos. Use gloves or just chop up with a knife and throw it all in the dish.

8 oz cooked linguine (I would like to try this with whole grain whole wheat pasta)
2 cans (6 1/2 oz) minced clams, drained with liquid reserved
1/4 cup olive oil
3-5 garlic cloves
1 can 28 oz whole Italian style tomatoes, drained and chopped
1-3 small red jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped (I use up to 8 with seeds for the dish but that's HOT)
1 tblspn parsley
1/2 tsp salt
_____________________________________________________

Heat oil. Cook garlic in oil, stirring frequently until soft. Stir in tomatoes and jalapenos. Cook for 3 minutes. Stir in clam liquid. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in clams, parsley and salt. Cover and simmer 30 minutes (if short on time, you can cut this time in half). Pour sauce over linguine.

No comments: