Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Black Bean Salsa

From Paula Deen, I just made this for the 1st time on Sunday for our Memorial Day BBQ yesterday and it was a hit! My two biggest recommendations - make the day before so the flavors marry and the juices come out to develop a more salsa-like consistency. And add some hot sauce! Without these two the consistency would be like corn and beans in a bowl with nothing to bind them together. Also, I did not have to add lime juice again before serving. I halved the recipe below for 6 people and made two bowls, one spicier than the other. They were both gone within an hour! Serve with tortilla chips like Scoops, flaxseed chips or blue corn tortilla chips.

2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (17-ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 large avocado, peeled and diced
1 small onion, diced
1/8 to 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
Hot sauce

Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl. Cover and chill overnight. Taste and add salt, pepper, or more lime juice as necessary. Serve as appetizer or with chicken breast as a main meal.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I completely forgot to tell you this. I printed this recipe off when you posted it, and just got around to making it last week. Since then, I've made it THREE times. I LOVE it. Thanks so much!!