Monday, May 19, 2008

Savory Baked Brie in Puff Pastry

This is a simple but elegant looking appetizer. I've made it quite a few times and it's always a hit. Since I couldn't find a picture of it where the pastry only came to the edges as this one does, and couldn't stand the thought of not posting one at all I had to put a puff pic. Puff pastry is super easy to work with and I use it often, unlike phyllo dough which scares me :)

(1) sheet puff pastry defrosted
(1) 6 inch round Brie
1/2 cup green olives
1/2 cup parsley leaves
1 clove garlic
1 tblsp olive oil
1/2 cup spinach leaves (I always leave the stems on)

Place the puff pastry sheet in a baking dish. Remove the white skin from the top of the Brie. Place the Brie in center of the pastry and crimp the edges of pastry together to form a lip around the edge of the Brie. You are not completely covering the top of the Brie, only the edges.
Combine olives, parsely, garlic, oil and spinach in a food processor until finely chopped but not a paste. Spread on top of the Brie. Bake for 10-15 minutes until pastry is golden. Serve with crackers, bread or fruit.

2 comments:

Petite G. said...

What a gorgeous family you have!!! Thanks for the Brie recipe. I love Brie. Sometimes I put cranberry spread or other preserves on the inside. So good. You NEED to come over and check out my newest entry. You are going to FREAK OUT!! I know I am... :) So glad to have you on my list of friends.

Live.Love.Eat said...

About the gorgeous fam - that's what I said when I saw your fam photo!!!!!!! You remind of Laura Linney - one of my favorite character actresses. So happy for your news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!