Saturday, September 28, 2024

Cheesy Mexican Stuffed Peppers

I came across these at the Cookie Rookie, when perusing for easy weeknight meals. Stuffed peppers or ground beef dishes aren't my usual jam but I knew my husband would love them and I wanted to mix things up. I was also drawn to the green chiles and enchilada sauce. As I thought, he did love them & I really enjoyed the change! 



4 large bell peppers
1 lb lean ground beef
1 ounce taco seasoning 
½ onion diced
1 4.5oz can chopped green chiles
1/4 cup Red Enchilada Sauce, Medium
1 to 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
Sour cream for serving
Cilantro for serving 

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside. In a medium skillet, heat ground beef over medium high heat, crumbling as you cook. If there is extra oil after your beef is fully cooked, drain and return to the heat. Stir in the taco seasoning and stir until well coated. Toss in the onions and allow to cook with the beef. I put the beef to the side of the pan to give the onions some solo time before mixing it all together. Alternatively, feel free to cook onions first, set aside, then put them back in pan with beef. When beef & onions are just about cooked through, stir in the green chiles and enchilada sauce. Turn off heat. Set aside.

Cut the top off each pepper & hollow out the inside; removing ribs and seeds. Place each pepper on the baking sheet. To stuff each pepper, start with several spoonfuls of beef, then cheese, then fill nearly to the top with beef. Top with more cheese. Place the top back on the pepper. Repeat with remaining peppers.

Bake for 30-40 minutes or until peppers are tender and cheese is melty. Serve immediately with sour cream and cilantro.

No comments: