Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Spicy Havana Stew

My wonderful friend Kacey at Chronicles of a Mommy mailed me some recipes that she thought I would like & this was one of them. Not the greatest pictures but this dish was excellent!!! I made it a few weeks ago when my parents came over for dinner & we all agreed it was fantastic. I had prepared & chopped up whatever I could earlier on in the day as well as set aside the proper amount of spices, so that after we were done with our appetizer I could easily throw this together in about 15 minutes. It was that simple!!! For all the pork haters out there, try this with chicken for a truly healthful dish!!!!!



1 1/2 lbs boneless pork loin, cut into bite sized cubes
Juice of 1 lime
4 tblsp garlic, chopped
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp cumin
4 tblsp olive oil plus 3 tblsp to saute veggies
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken stock
6 oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup sliced green olives with pimento
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
2 tsp dried parsley
3 tblsp chopped scallions

In a bowl, combine 4 tblsp olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin & 2 tblsp chopped garlic. Mix well. Add the pork cubes & coat evenly. Cover & marinate in fridge for at least 1 hour. Stir occasionally.

In a stew pot, heat 3 tblsp olive oil & saute onions for 3-4 minutes. Add 2 tblsp garlic & the green pepper; cook for 1 minute. Add the pork & cook for 5 minutes. Add the white wine, chicken stock, tomato paste, green olives, bay leaves & red pepper flakes. Stir well & simmer for 5 -10 minutes. Add the parsley & green onion; remove from heat. Remove the bay leaves. Serve over your favorite rice.

~ My Thoughts ~

Everyone loved this!!!! While this wasn't very spicy to us, you can make it even less spicy & omit the red pepper flakes. This would be great with chicken too!

{Click Here to Print Recipe}


Visit here for more Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays. And come on back tomorrow to see why I have been so out of the loop. I may be out of work but I certainly have my hands full!

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll definately give this one a try.. it looks yummy and the spicer the better for us.

FROGGITY! said...

Delicious and warming I hope... whoo I'm cold today!!

Scary Mommy said...

Ohhhh, I can almost smell that!!! Yum!

Rebecca said...

That looks amazing! Chicken is the only meat I am eating now so I may just have to whip this up with your chicken suggestion.

:)

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

This sounds delish and not too fattening, too. I love spicy foods, too. Thanks for sharing!

tiarastantrums said...

this looks delicious - I will make this for sure!!

Ronnica said...

That sounds like something my roommate would like (with chicken, not pork). Perhaps I'll treat her!

Woman Interrupted said...

Just found your blog. I am going to enjoy following you! This recipe looks amazing and I will come back to comment after we try it.

akawest said...

I love your dishes! The recipe sounds and looks yummy. Thanks for sharing.

Yellow Beads said...

looks yummy (as always!)

Rachel said...

Looks like a yummy dish for a cold florida day like today!

Unknown said...

This looks delicious to me! I want to make it tonight!

Kristina P. said...

This looks great! But I am a huge wimp, so I would have to make it very mild.

Pam said...

Yum. This looks really tasty - I love all of the ingredients used.

Darla said...

That looks awesome, I'm gunna have to try it.

Kacey said...

Pork haters? Who in the world would that be? LOL I'll be trying with chicken my dear friend! Glad it was a hit with the family!

Angela said...

Oh, yum Steph! Hubby loves anything spicy, so we will definitely give this a try. I am (finally) getting back to cooking again!

Cupcake Dessert said...

WOW!! That looks super yummy!!! thanks for the recipe

M said...

When I am rich and famous I want to hire you as my personal chef, but I will force you to drink martinis with me if that is okay with you?!

I have missed your food!

Molly

Coco said...

I am doing your peach and pepper fajitas tonight.

This stew will be going in the crocck pot tomorrow for sure, we will eat on this for days.

I have just started a new binder with just YOUR recipes.

Linda said...

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds really good.

Smores for Breakfast said...

def a keeper. Looks so yummy! I'm going to try it with chicken!

Michelle said...

Oh this sounds good! I'm just getting over my issues with pork (my mom would take a pork chop and just char the hell out of it and I've never been able to eat pork), and this sounds like it's a good one. Thanks!

Jen said...

what a cool and exciting recipe. A good break from the norm.

Chef Chuck said...

I love spicy food, Pork I am in!!
A taste of Cuba!
Looks good,Thanks

Life, Love And Lola said...

Look delish! Wash that down with a Mojito...YUM!

Carrie said...

This sounds great! I love pork. That may explain my pigginess...

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Wow, this sounds great. My husband LOVES spicey.

Deanna said...

It is 26 degrees outside so this warm recipe sounds wonderful!

Woman Interrupted said...

We loved it! Very tangy and flavorful. It reminded me of a recipe called Pork Chops Creole that I used to make from an old Junior League cookbook.

We had to improvise and use beer b/c we're red wind drinkers and don't keep white on hand. Next time I will double the olives because they add a briny bite that I love.

Great comfort food feel for not alot of effort!

Unknown said...

Very nice meal.

Daniels said...

This sounds great! I love pork. That may explain my pigginess...