Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Honey Ricotta Cheesecake

Let's go back to being unhealthy for a moment, shall we. After all, everything in moderation, right? Right! I made this cheesecake on Christmas & will definitely make it again. I have made ricotta cheesecake before without any cream cheese in it & didn't like it as much as my Dad so I really like that this has both the ricotta & cream cheese together. I also love the biscotti crust & I wasn't even a huge biscotti fan before. Just do yourself one favor when cutting that 1st slice, don't miss out on all that goodness on the bottom like I did.


8 oz purchased biscotti
6 tblsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
12 oz container fresh whole milk ricotta, drained
2 (8-oz) packages cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange blossom or clover honey
1 tblsp orange zest
4 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Wrap the outside of a 9-inch springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides with 2 layers of heavy-duty foil. Finely grind the biscotti in a food processor. Add the melted butter & process until the crumbs are moistened. Press the crumb mixture over the bottom (not the sides) of the prepared pan. Bake until the crust is golden, about 15 minutes. Cool the crust completely on a cooling rack.

Blend the ricotta in a clean food processor until smooth. Add the cream cheese & sugar & blend well, stopping the machine occasionally & scraping down the sides of the work bowl. Blend in the honey & orange zest. Add the eggs & pulse just until blended.

Pour the cheese mixture over the crust in the pan. Place the springform pan in a large roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the springform pan. Bake until the cheesecake is golden & the center of the cake moves slightly when the pan is gently shaken, about 1 hour & 5 minutes (the cake will become firm when it is cold).

Transfer the cake to a rack & cool 1 hour. Refrigerate until the cheesecake is cold, at least 8 hours and up to 2 days. Cut the cake into wedges and serve.

~ My Thoughts ~

Not too many thoughts on this one except it was goooood! A nice change from the usual cheesecake!!



For more Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, please visit Lisa at Blessed with Grace!

39 comments:

Kristin said...

Looks great. Hubby loves cheesecake. Maybe I'll try this one on Valentines day.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE cheese cake!!

Scary Mommy said...

Ohhhhh, love the biscotti crust. Genius!

sassy stephanie said...

Mmm. Biscotti crust? How different. And delish. And hip expanding. Sweetie's very fave thing is cheesecake. Wonder if I could pull this off?

Carrie said...

Yummmm...

And now I will pine for it, as the whole "healthy eating" garbage is actually working for me--18.4 lbs in two months!

I'm not sure a part of it wasn't sitting on my fat a$$ looking at delicious recipes for a month since my computer was fried!

But I'm back with a vengeance! I saw some yummy healthy stuff you posted while I was MIA that I'll have to try! Those artichokes. Oh my, I need to go work out or something!

~Marie~ said...

Oooo... I love cheesecake. I will have to give this one a try soon. MMmmmmmmm. It looks really yummy.

Kacey said...

You are so a woman after my heart. Mmmm cheesecake!

Tina Butler said...

That looks so good. I love cheesecake any way its made. Yummo good.

Erin said...

Making cheesecake scares me.
It sounds hard- and I know I would eat the whole thing.

tiarastantrums said...

sounds awesome - I found a recipe for goat cheese cheesecake a few years back and am sticking to that one! OMG - heaven!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

i think that this is this one from giada's show...right? if so, i have always wanted to try it!

jewelstreet said...

Seriously?! Did you have to post a recipe for a cheesecake? I'm soooo hungry. You're killing me.

Kristina P. said...

I have had ricotta cheesecake once, and I hated it. The texture just got to me!

Brenda said...

As always, great recipes and beautiful pictures

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey Bear!

Rachel said...

I love me some cheesecake!! I am sure this tasted amazing...and the crust is the best part; you better scrape that off next time :)

FROGGITY! said...

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! And PRETTY!

And to answer your question: it's considered depressing since it's exactly one month after Christmas! Bills rolling in and whatnot...

However, I have always liked it that way! That way I get all the things I didn't get during the holidays as presents!

Lula! said...

Yeah, you know I'm cleansing (kind of) and eating well and getting my elliptical on. So I really love seeing cheesecake on your blog.

Sigh...

Michelle said...

Cheesecake was one of the first deserts I learned how to make.

When I was in High School I would often make a cheese cake on Sunday and then on Monday all my girl friends would come over after school and we would devour it. :)

Fratzels said...

Looks so yummy! perhaps when I decide to break my diet, I will do it with this.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Anything with the word cheese in it is a good thing. Cheese + cake...yeah, there isn't much that is better.

Great to see a recipe for the ricotta version. I don't come by these very often.

Thanks!

-Francesca

Jen said...

See, I told you. Yum Yum!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

This sounds delish! I've made plenty of cheesecakes but not one with ricotta.

Lump said...

say what? I've never heard of this kind of cheesecake before... but I know I will LOVE IT.

Claremont First Ward said...

I've never had a ricotta cheesecake. Sounds good though!

akawest said...

Mmm, whole milk ricotta! That looks like a treat.

Unknown said...

I had to let my pants out from just looking at this post.

Unknown said...

JUST PLAIN Y U M M Y !!!! THANKS, RITA

The Blonde Duck said...

One of these days someone is going to invent a magic pill so I can eat cheesecake like this three times a day.

Unknown said...

One more thing, I would like to add you to my list of food blog favorites if that's ok with u.

threesidesofcrazy said...

Oh my I should have waited until after dinner to look at this - my mouth is watering for a piece. This is a must make and soon!

Pam said...

What a lovely cheesecake. I love the biscotti crust.

Yellow Beads said...

How are you doing!? :))

Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

Looks yummy. I did an Oreo cheesecake recently. That was fun--except my Kroger didn't carry Oreos for baking (without the icing) so I had to buy a pack and scrape off the icing!

So about the dentist--I DEFINITELY recommend taking him to a pediatric dentist as soon as possible. They recommend taking your kids starting at the age of 3, some even say 2. (Mine are 3 in a couple of months). The first visit is pretty non eventful, but it takes a lot of the anxiety away. The dentist will pretty much count his teeth, try to clean them (if not, no worries) and brush with fluoride. They might try to take an x-ray, but only if he's ok with it. Pediatric dentists are great, because they're trained to work with kids, which is VERY IMPORTANT. The water sucky thing is called "Mr. Thirsty". My hubby, J, works in the pediatric dental industry, so this is where I get some of the info from. The kids also get stickers and toys and balloons when they're done! Let me know if you have any other questions. Deb

Heather said...

That looks awesome! I need to try that out. My hubs loves cheesecake!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

WONDERFUL!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, does that ever look delicious! I'm so scared of making cheesecake. Is it really that hard? I should be making it because it's far and away my FAVORITE food!

Tabitha Blue said...

Ohhh, yum... it's ok to go with not-so-healthy sometimes!!!!


:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com

Unknown said...

Biscotti crust? Brilliant! I just got 2 big tunbs of Riccota cheese. Now I have an excuse to make this : ).