Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Plate of Muffins

I came across a Martha Stewart craft for making a glittered party pedestal over at a Life Made by Marcie. Go check her out to see the awesome pedestal she made for a Halloween party she had. You can mark it for next year. Although I had no need for this exact kind, it did give me an idea to make my own serving plate.

Here it is & I love it. I plan to make more at different heights which will make for a nice presentation at the holidays. Sure you can buy them but this was fun to make & cheaper. I found the plate on clearance & the candlestick at Michael's. Just glue them together & you're ready to entertain.

Garlic & Sundried Tomato Corn Muffins

What would look nice on this serving plate are some of these muffins I made a few weeks back. This recipe is from Giada & while I got mixed reviews I thought it was worth sharing because it's easy enough & intriguing. If you like garlic, sundried tomatoes & corn muffins you might want to give them a try. I think they're nice served with soup.


2 (8 1/2 oz)pkgs Jiffy corn muffin mix
2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
3 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes (from an 8oz jar)
2/3 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup sour cream
2 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 2 muffin tins. In a large bowl combine the muffin mix, corn, garlic & sun-dried tomatoes. Stir to combine. In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream & eggs until well blended. Add the buttermilk mixture to the muffin mix. Stir to combine. Spoon the mix into the muffin tins, filling up the cups about halfway. Bake until golden brown on top, about 15 minutes.

My Thoughts:

I would recommend decreasing garlic to 2 cloves & maybe adding a bit more sundried tomatoes. Not by 50% but just a little bit more.

Click Here to Print Recipe

Since this post is getting long I will hold off until tomorrow to share with you a family favorite I have grown up on. It's something some of you may never have had before!

27 comments:

Homegrown Family said...

Love that idea! Yours turned out very nice. I am going to Micheals today I will have to scout it out for candle sticks. :0)
Erika

sassy stephanie said...

Cool idea.

I love cornbread and will only make Jiffy. Only I cheat a little and add some sugar.

FROGGITY! said...

that idea is darling. i will HAVE to try that! great call!!!

Maria said...

I love your plate and the muffins look so delicious!

Helen Ruth said...

I've always liked the Jiffy mixes for when I'm in a hurry. I haven't thought of trying the sun dried tomatoes. I'll have to pick me up some next time I'm at the store.

scargosun said...

I love pedasals and raised cake plates for dispaying food. It always looks so much better than all one height.

Lorie said...

I love cake plates! They are my new addiction!

And I made corn bread recently and to my surprise my kids LOVED it, so I will have to try this recipe!

Kameron said...

What kind of glue did you use? With my luck they thing would collapse with a cake on it or something!! My nephew's name is Tristin, but it is spelled with an i not an a. Darn!

Coco said...

Great idea! We have a Tuesday Morning that has stuff like that super cheap. I smell Christmas present project!

And the muffins will be maid today, I have all the ingrediants. Tess is a muffin fan, keeps her entertained for hours. Not kidding.

Jen said...

those sound very interesting and my curiosity it peeked. I can't wait to see what you made.

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea! I have a Tristan too, but at 12 he is a bit too old for Buzz Lightyear!
Toni

Tam said...

I am back and now catching UP with YOU....I feel like I have been gone forever! LOVE your last post and these muffins...YUM and now you make me wait until tomorrow...for what you grew up on! LOL LOL LOL

Unknown said...

Thanks again for another wonderful sounding recipe.

Carrie said...

I like pretty much anything made with Jiffy mixes! I actually live about 20 minutes from the Jiffy factory. I think when midget gets older, I'll take her on a tour!

S Club Mama said...

So...really? A birthday banner that says Tristan? With an A? My son's name is Tristan! That would be fun, but his birthday isn't until July...

Unknown said...

They sound interesting! I love the tray with the candlestick. You are cool : ). Did you ever have the corn bread at Chi Chi's? I always wanted to find a recipe to imitate that because they were divine!

The Blonde Duck said...

Muffins look wonderful anywhere!

Marcie said...

Love it!!! The style is GREAT. I am completely obsessed with cakeplates, I have 11...I know, it is a sickness! :) Thanks for the shout out! :)

Lula! said...

Garlic and sun-dried tomato corn muffins?

Will you marry me? Please?

Honey Mommy said...

I love cornbread in all it's incarnations! I'll have to try this one!

Erin said...

I am diggin that pedestal! Oh Yes, girl, I can DO glue! Simple and fabulous, now that's my speed! :) Happy Thursday!

Pam said...

What a clever idea - I really love the plate you used. I've never added sundried tomatoes to my corn muffins before - great thinking.

Unknown said...

I took a bite again. I'm not sure if I ever asked you before but do you have any kind of culinary background.

Lump said...

ha! I had muffins this morning for breakfast. but I am positive they weren't as good as those.

Yellow Beads said...

Remember me never to view your blog when I am THIS full, ugh. We ran to Amigo's for dinner (It was not so good--I am so disappointed with them lately. Even the margaritas were BLAH so I don't know why I over-ate. dang it.

Sweet Pea Chef said...

Ohhh, I am making chili next week...and now, these muffins! Thanks!

Tabitha Blue said...

I LOVE cornbread, LOL. And I also use Jiffy most of the time for them :)