Monday, September 29, 2008

Mexican Chicken Crostada

Great weekend but busy! I cooked a bit and also brought a tray of the Swiss Mushroom Chicken Bake & some homebaked cookies to our friends who just had a baby & also to my in laws.

 
I got this recipe from Jenny at Picky Palate. Visit her, she's an amazing cook/baker! I will be making it again as I'm a sucker for anything in a crust or with filling.


Mexican Chicken Crostada
1 roll Pillsbury Pie crust, thawed
1 ½ - 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 drained can Mild or Original Rotel diced tomatoes with chilies
½ cup fresh chopped cilantro leaves or dried
1 tsp Ranch dressing seasoning, from packet that makes the dip
1 tsp cumin (I plan to use 1/2 tsp next time)
Pinch of salt & pepper
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp garlic salt

Preheat oven to 375. Unroll pie crust & place onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
Place chicken, tomatoes, cilantro, ranch seasoning, cumin, salt & pepper into a large bowl. With a fork, stir & cut up chicken pieces until well combined. Pour chicken mixture into the center of pie crust & top with cheddar cheese, leaving about 1 ½ inch border around edges. Fold crust up over chicken forming little pleats every 2 inches or so pressing gently. Brush edges with olive oil & sprinkle crust with garlic salt.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown on edges. Let cool for 5 minutes then cut into wedges to serve. Makes 4 servings .

My Thoughts:

You can use canned chicken like Jenny did but I prefer using Rotisserie chicken since my little guy will eat that & not the crostada. I also used dried cilantro & didn't really measure. As for the cumin, while one of my fav foods is Mexican I am not a huge cumin fan. The 1 tsp in this dish is very prominent so I plan to use 1/2 tsp next time. For a variation I can totally see making some chicken, spinach, mushrooms & onions with some mozzarella cheese for an Italian version. Yum!

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy! I really like your idea for an Italian version as well. Yummo!

Snooky doodle said...

this is a nice and creative recipe .i Like it :-)

tiarastantrums said...

looks delicious!!!!!

Maria said...

I love Mexican food! Looks good!

Glad you loved the cookies. They are our favorite!

Beth said...

That looks delicious and not hard to make which is the best!

Melissa Lester said...

Did someone say "cookies"? I can't wait to sample them through your site! And that Mexican dish looks delicious!

Tabitha Blue said...

Looks delish, sounds easy enough for me to make :)

Yellow Beads said...

I LOVE MEXICAN. This recipe is a must try for me!

Unknown said...

Now that looks like a meal and it looks easy.

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks great! I love Mexican food!

Pam said...

I love Mexican food and I am always looking for new recipes. This looks fantastic - can't wait to try it.

Carrie and Jim said...

Oh-my holy cheese. That looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting at my desk drooling!

Lump said...

YUM! That looks so amazingly good.

Kacey said...

How sweet are you bringing somthing yummy to your friends to eat. That was the GREATEST gift when we finally had both Linc & Ruby Jane home. Aaah, you're an angel. This recipe looks delicious and I want to try it next week! I'll let you know how it goes. I think the Italian version that you thought of sounds awesome too. Mexican is Brian's favorite and Italian is mine, so that would be fab to have a recipe to work both ways. I usually have most of this stuff on hand so that works! :o)

Jen said...

That looks really good and I really like your thoughts on the Italian version.

Jen said...

BTW, I love the printable recipe button.

Deanna said...

I love the Italian version. That sounds yum.

Deb and Blake said...

I can't wait to make this, but especially an italian version...maybe with a garlic olive oil basted crust? Yummy recipe!

Unknown said...

I can not wait to make this! It looks so fabulous! Yum! Yum! Yum! I am adding rotissarie chicken to my list too! And that pie crust! I love simple and delicious! I LOVE your blog!

Anonymous said...

Wowzers that looks good! I love Mexican food...adding this to my list of recipes I've seen TODAY that I want to try! Thanks!

CC said...

This looks so GREAT!!

Casey's trio said...

Sounds like a good recipe. I LOVE anything with crust too:)

Tam said...

LOVE LOVE that YOU added the printable recipe!!!!

Sweet Pea Chef said...

This looks amazing. Good to know you can used canned chicken...good to have in the pantry for emergencies.

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

I'm trying this one tonight with an italian spin on it - its in the oven now, can't wait to taste it!! If it comes out nice I might just post about it too!!