Monday, June 29, 2009

Oven Baked Fried Chicken

I make a mean fried chicken but was really in the mood to try out an oven baked version for a healthy alternative. I saw a recipe recently that really got my attention but then I couldn't find it. After researching a few & combining elements from my regular fried chicken I came up with this one. It was for Sunday dinner & was a HUGE hit. You must give this a try. It was crispy on the outside & moist on the inside, you couldn't tell it was oven baked. This will definitely be made again & again.

For regular but out of this world fried chicken, check out this Southern Cross Fried Chicken I make. It's from a horse farm/guest ranch we visited in Georgia. I bought their cookbook since their food was amazing. This is where I got the idea to put the 2 special ingredients listed below.**


8 skinless chicken thighs
8 skinless chicken legs
3-4 cups buttermilk
3 tblsp hot sauce
1 tblsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tsp Paprika
3 tsp Garlic powder

2 cups Kelloggs Corn Flake Crumbs
Dash of garlic powder
Salt & Pepper
1 pkg Instant Tomato Cup of Soup (WalMart) **
or a few sprinkles of Chicken Tomato Bouillon powder like I used
1 pkg of Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing Mix ** (optional)

Place chicken in a large 9 x 13 dish. Combine buttermilk, hot sauce & seasonings. Pour over chicken in dish or Ziploc bags & marinate for 8 hours or overnight. The longer the better.


Pre-heat oven to 400. Combine corn flake crumbs, seasonings & packets. Shake excess liquid from each piece of chicken & dredge in crumb mixture. Place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Repeat with all chicken pieces. Spray the tops of chicken lightly with either butter or oil flavored cooking spray (some people drizzle melted butter).



You will need 2 baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn over carefully so that the breading doesn’t come off. You may want to use a spatula & your hands to gently turn. Bake for 15 minutes more. Turn your oven to broil & move your chicken so it's 6 inches from the heat. Broil for 1-2 minutes until you get a crispy coating. Turn chicken over & broil other side for 1-2 minutes or until desired crispiness.

{Food for Thought}

I always start off with about 2 cups of breading in a pie plate but usually have to refresh all the ingredients if I have a large batch. Just always taste your breading because that's what your chicken will taste like. Use what you like, it doesn't have to be exact measurements.

The secrets to an awesome fried chicken is a long buttermilk bath as well as the secret ingredients. For this baked version, the extra secret is your broiler. People have complained their baked chicken is soggy but they need to rely on their broiler more. But you MUST keep a close eye on it & never walk away. I always broil food in 1-2 minute increments & use my timer as well so I don't get easily distracted & forget.

** I don't ever go to WalMart so I wasn't able to get my hands on the Instant Tomato soup packet from the original recipe from the horse farm, so I ended up buying the chicken tomato bouillon powder at my local grocer & have been using it ever since. I do recommend you getting your hands on the Instant packet if you do frequent WalMart. I also didn't use the Good Seasons Italian Season packet on this baked chicken but definitely plan to next time so I wanted to keep it in the ingredient list.
And because I like to be honest, both hubs & I agreed that while this chicken was wonderful even a few hours later, it wasn't the same the next day after being in the fridge overnight. It seemed to be more crumby when we ate it cold so I would recommend warming it up in the nuke & then placing it under your broiler for a minute or 2 on each side.


Visit Blessed with Grace for More Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays!

26 comments:

starnes family said...

I've tried another version of this, but yours looks more flavorful. I'll be trying soon!

Kristina P. said...

My mom used to make cornflake baked chicken, and we loved it. This sounds better, however.

~Marie~ said...

I love fried chicken, but hate that it's fried. I can't wait to try this recipe.

Sara said...

This looks really delicious. I love that it's baked instead of fried, I'm always intimidated about deep frying at home.

Ronda said...

Hi there! I loved your pictures of your vacation. Looks like you had a great time too. So funny you conked out in the chair! I had a great time myself in Kansas City. The best part was staying away from the computer for more than a week!
This recipe looks great! Way better that the one I got from Weight Watcher years ago. Mine you just dipped it in skim milk, then in crushed corn flakes and sesame seeds. (and some other spices.) I'm trying this one for sure! Have a great night and welcome back!
XOX

Life, Love And Lola said...

Healthy Fried Chicken???? WHOOOOHOOO!

Brenda said...

Always looking for the perfect oven fried chicken, although really, fried chicken in a cast iron skillet just can't be beat.

I do agree with the buttermilk soak, makes a big difference.

Jen said...

I so want to try this.

Michelle said...

I don't think that I have ever seen Corn Flake crumbs in the store! I'm going to have to look for them.

Lula! said...

I wish you could've seen me half an hour ago.

I was in the grocery store, frantically going to your blog on my BlackBerry, praying, "Oh, I hope she posted the oven fried chicken recipe today!"

You did not disappoint!

So while on your site, I got all the ingredients--except the tomato soup/boullion stuff (we have neither of those here)--and now I'm home and mere seconds away from soaking my chicken in the buttermilk mixture. Overnight.

Girl, it will be good. I know it. Will let you know how it turns out...
xoxo

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Thanks for the recipe and your tips. Always good. Thanks for linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Lani said...

This looks really good, I might have to try it!

Life, Love And Lola said...

Yep...He has long hair and it's pulled back! Not the type I usually go for. I've always gone for the clean cut professional type. Well I'm here to tell you BRANCHING OUT IS GOOD! God he's SMOKIN HOT!

tiarastantrums said...

I LOVE me some fried chicken too!! This recipe sounds goo d- I usually use the buttermilk and flakes as well - but I will try the tomato base now!

Maria said...

Looks nice and crispy without the frying! Yahoo!

Coco said...

I will be trying this soon. Any new chicken idea is needed. Tomato soup packets? Never heard of them....

Hula Hank said...

You know, my mom used to make oven fried chicken all the time... but I don't remember her recipe being healthy.

The chicken was dripping with more oil than if she pan fried it.

I was just thinking about oven fried chicken the other day, and then your recipe pops up... I think it was fate.

Kerstin said...

Looks SO good and crispy! I love your secret ingredients too.

Dewi said...

Perfect! I am looking for recipe like this. I loe fried chicken, but don't really want to fry it that often. Now, I found the perfect solution!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm so happy I could cry.

Unknown said...

Gary would be so happy if I made him this for supper : ). I always dip our chicken strips in buttermilk. It adds such a nice kick I think : )

Julie H said...

Umm that looks yummy!

david mcmahon said...

Off to try it NOW!

Angela said...

Yum Steph! I love anything I can bake in the summer. I know most people hate turning on the oven, but I hate standing over the stove when it's hot more than I worry about the oven!

THis looks awesome! Can't wait to try it. I'm back on the healthy bandwagon this week so I really like the baked vs. fried aspect!

sassy stephanie said...

Picked up a box of these cornflake crumbs today! Going to try a version of this today!

William said...

Cannot get those cornflake crumbs in the UK - are they just crushed cornflakes?

Also, perhaps if you put the oven hotter you would not need to grill them?