Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Baked French Toast Cups

I kicked off the July 4th weekend with a little visit from my best friend Tam & her kids. They came over to hang by the pool & while the kids played, well, we played. Let's just say that the Beaujolais was not the only thing chilling.


{LOVE my bucket. Comes in handy}



We had such a good time that I convinced Tam to bring her kids back over to spend the night while she relaxed with her hubs. I made this yummy treat for breakfast the next morning. So much fun to make, adorable on the plate, & a healthier alternative too! The kids enjoyed it as did Tam when she came to get the kids in the morning.


4 slices whole wheat bread, cut into cubes
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk (I used fat free)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash of ground nutmeg
For the apples:
1 large apple of your choice, cut into cubes
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

In a medium skillet, saute apples with butter & cinnamon for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Set aside. In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon & nutmeg until well combined. Add bread cubes & mix together until all the bread is saturated. Add the apples & mix until well distributed. Using a regular size muffin tin, scoop bread evenly into 6 greased muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until set & lightly golden brown.


{Just before going into the oven}

{Just fresh out of the oven}
{Food for Thought}

The original recipe, here, had drizzled icing over them but I opted for regular light syrup instead. As with any french toast or pancakes, in my opinion, alone they could be a bit sweeter but with the syrup alongside or the icing, if you prefer, it's just the right amount.

{Click Here to Print Recipe}

26 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Done. I am making these this weekend.

brionyskerjance said...

wowzer...that looks delicious!!!

Ronda said...

Thanks for the great idea! My sister and hubby are coming next week from Kansas City and that's what I'm making!
Looks like a fun time at the pool, my kind of fun!
XOXO

Brenda said...

This looks a lot like bake french toast that I make, but healthier. I wonder if these could be made the night before? Then just pop them in the oven while the coffee makes. . .

Life, Love And Lola said...

Love that you have wine and popsicles in the same bucket!

S Club Mama said...

That looks amazing! Maybe (if I'm up to it) I'll try to make that when I get home. :)

Jen said...

awesome. I totally need to try this!

Reeni said...

What a sweet little breakfast treat! I love that their baked like muffins.

FROGGITY! said...

lol!!!! wine and popsicles- my kinda bucket!!! hahah

the treats look lovely! will have to try.

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm...oh how I love it when you fill your muffin tins....

Unknown said...

I've made a similar variation, never tried to put them into cups before. I'll have to do that next time. Pictures look great.

Simple Daisy said...

Love the bucket!! So cute and handy!
That recipe looks yummy...

Anonymous said...

How fun!! Love the muffin tin Idea, I bet this would be great for monkey bread also!

Pam said...

What a fun and tasty breakfast. Can't wait to try these.

Debbie said...

I've already bookmarked this page to come back in the morning!

Tam said...

OOOO YOUR BLOG is AS YUMMY AS EVER!
HOPE all is great! I still do not have a computer so I have not been able to stalk all your YUMMY recipes! I however have been visiting Oveido Fl! Take care and stalk your blog soon!

Unknown said...

It looks so delish! I love it : ) And I adore friends hanging out at the pool! Isn't that one of the best things about summer? Love it : )

Kerstin said...

What cute little French Toast cups! I love that they have fruit and you used whole wheat bread - they sound like the perfect breakfast treat!

Life, Love And Lola said...

Oh PLEASE come visit one weekend! We'll have a blast.

Maria said...

Such cute cups! Great photos too!

Lula! said...

I have company coming next weekend. Totally making these.

Fantastic!

The Desperate Cook said...

I love your bucket too.....I have a shirt that matches it perfectly.

Claremont First Ward said...

Since my cooktop was just installed yesterday, I'm making this when my kids wake up. I think I'll use Hawaiian bread though and see if that makes them sweet enough to stand alone.

Deanna said...

I may have to make breakfast for supper tonight just to use that recipe!

Jaime said...

Oh yummy! I can't wait to make these. Might have to try it this weekend. Thanks!

Noelle said...

These were delicious! I made them for my grandparents and they couldn't stop telling me how great they were! Thanks for making me their favorite granddaughter :]